News
 International
 National
 Embassy News
 Arts & Living
 Business
 Travel & Hotel
 Medical Tourism New
 Taekwondo
 Media
 Letters to Editor
 Photo Gallery
 Cartoons/Comics/Humor
 News Media Link
 TV Schedule Link
 News English
 Life
 Hospitals & Clinics
 Flea Market
 Moving & Packaging
 Religious Service
 Korean Classes
 Korean Weather
 Housing
 Real Estate
 Home Stay
 Room Mate
 Job
 English Teaching
 Translation/Writing
 Job Offered/Wanted
 Business
 Hotel Lounge
 Foreign Exchanges
 Korean Stock
 Business Center
 PR & Ads
 Entertainment
 Arts & Performances
 Restaurants & Bars
 Tour & Travel
 Shopping Guide
 Community
 Foreign Missions
 Community Groups
 PenPal/Friendship
 Volunteers
 Foreign Workers
 Useful Services
 ST Banner Exchange
  National
IS Attacks S. Korean Embassy in Libya
2 Local Guards Killed in IS Shooting Spree
IS Sprays 40 Bullets at S. Korean Embassy in Tripoli
The South Korean Embassy on Gargaresh Street in Tripoli, Libya

Islamic State (IS) militants sprayed some 40 rounds of machine gun bullets at the South Korean Embassy in Tripoli, Libya on April 12, 2015, killing two local security guards and wounding one guard, South Korea's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MOFAT) announced on the same day.

The ministry said that it was the first time that the South Korean Embassy was attacked by the IS militants.

According to the ministry the IS militants riding an unidentified vehicle fired some 40 rounds of bullets at the security gruads post at the South Korean Embassy compound around 1:20 a.m. on the day at local time and killed two local guards and wounded one other.

The local security guards were policemen belonging to the Interior Ministry of Libya.

The vehicle ran away immediately after the shooting attack.

The two deceased guards and one wounded guard were carried to a nearby hospital by local residents from near the South Korean Embassy.

"It was not clear that IS militants were aiming at the South Korean Embassy or at the guard post," the ministry said. "The night attack by IS would be investigated as soon as the morning dawns"

There were two diplomats and one administrative staffer at the South Korean Embassy at the time of the attack, and they were not attacked directly by the IS militants.

The Libyan police were dispatched from the nearby police station to the scene some 10 minutes after the attack. Soon 20 more Libyan special forces policemen were dispatched to the South Korean Embassy to bolster up the security.

About two hours after the shooting spree the "Tripoli chapter of IS" announded that IS' Jund al-Khilafa (Soldiers of the Caliphate) "eliminated" two guards of the South Korean Embassy through IS Twitter page.

Meanwhile, the South Korea's Foreign Ministry said that there had been no threats and no attack on the South Korean Embassy in Tripoli from IS militants since June of last year when Islamic militias occupied the streets of Tripoli.

It also added that there had been no threats on the embassies of other foreign countries in the capital of Libya.

Currently, there are 18 foreign embassies operating in Tripoli including the South Korean Embassy.

Most of the 500 South Korean workers and residents were evacuated from Libya in August of last year on board South Korean military vessels, according to the South Korea's Foreign Ministry.

Currently, some 40 South Korean residents are living in Libya.




 

back

 

 

 

The Seoul Times Shinheungro 25-gil 2-6 Yongsan-gu, Seoul, Korea 04337 (ZC)
Office: 82-10-6606-6188 Email:seoultimes@gmail.com
Copyrights 2000 The Seoul Times Company  ST Banner Exchange